This workshop is designed for postdoctoral researchers with at least 18 months of postdoctoral experience. It aims to provide all the tools needed to start an independent academic research group.
The workshop is highly interactive, mostly based on discussions and interactive exercises.
Date: Monday and Tuesday, 13-14 August 2018
Duration: 2 days (9:00-16:30h)
Location: GZMB, Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 11, seminar room 0.232 (ground floor)
Trainer: Dr. Alexander Schiller, Schiller & Mertens, Jena
Registration: Please register here (if you are not already registered) and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including a statement of at least 100 words on your motivation to attend the workshop, why it is particular important to do this now and a brief outlook when you are planning to set up your own lab or when you started to build it.
“Funding” shows how to pick the right funding type and how to effectively write applications and proposals:
- Funding strategies and opportunities in Germany and worldwide
- Planning and managing my start and my career
“Science” will enable you to structure your own group and position it within the environment at your institute and beyond:
- How to get independent from your supervisor
- How to perform interdisciplinary research
“People” is all about leading; yourself and your team:
- Leadership and team structures
- Hiring and retaining staff
- Feedback, negotiation and conflict management