We are happy to announce our next GAUSS Career Service workshops: “Career Planning- What are my further career movements” by Dr. Matthias Merkelbach.
What are my unique abilities and interests critical in determining the right career path for me? Can I combine my ideas about a fulfilled life with a career outside of university and academia? How can I develop a strategy for embarking on a non-academic career path?
This workshop helps to answer this – and other – questions for all those who want to plan their career development strategically.
Dates: Monday and Tuesday, 8-9 May 2023
Location: Seminar rooms A+B, Max Planck Institute for Solar Systems Research, Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 3 (map)
Duration: 9:00-17:00h on both days
Trainer: Dr. Matthias Merkelbach
Target group: Postdoctoral scientist and late-stage PhD students
This workshop focuses on supporting young scientists and researchers and prepare them for leaving academia. It offers possibilities to reflect upon future careers in industry, business or alternative career choices. Based on individual profiles, participants develop their own vision for their future personal and professional lives.
- You reflect upon your professional career path and develop a well-orchestrated plan for the opportunity of a university career or outside of academia
- You work out a biographically-based profile that highlights und evaluates your individual qualifications, skills and job visions.
- You explore different occupational alternatives.
- You get information about formal and hidden requirements for career development (with special focus on German working culture).
- You share experiences and are encouraged by other scientists who are in a similar professional situation
Contents in brief:
- Creating your profile of skills and qualifications, highlighting your strengths and accomplishments
- Choosing your own criteria and values for work and life
- Developing a vision for your own professional and private life
- Review and evaluation of personal development goals
- Detect your professional network
- Outlook: Application procedure